All requests for the 2017 Supplemental Trooper Examinations for military personnel have been processed - You will be notified of the dates and times by E-mail once they have been determined.
Ensure that you keep all your personal information updated here.
Military Supplemental Exam Process
If you are in the military when the application period opens and the test dates are established, apply on-line whether you know if you can attend or not. If you can’t attend during the regular exam period, you must request to take a Military Supplemental Exam. You must supply military orders to support your request to take the supplemental exam by the established deadline.
The supplemental exams will be given at the Academy within two years of the original filing deadline. More information will be provided when the application period opens.
- Veterans' Preference Credits - If you are or were a member of the U.S. Armed Forces on a full-time active duty basis (other than for training programs), you may be eligible to have extra credits added to your passing score on the NYSP Entrance Examination. Points cannot be added to your entrance exam score after the application deadline.
- Non-disabled Veterans who meet the criteria described below, are entitled to receive five (5) extra points. Disabled veterans with a service connected disability rated at 10% or more and are receiving payment from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, who meet the below criteria, are entitled to receive ten (10) extra points.
You qualify for Veterans' Preference credits, if you:
- Received or expect to receive an Honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces*; AND
- Active Duty in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. OR
- Persian Gulf War. August 2, 1990, through date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law. OR
- National Guard or Reserves – Applies when activated on Title 10 or Title 32 for duty *OTHER THAN TRAINING* (contingency operation as defined in Title 10 U.S.C)
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU TO PROCESS YOUR FIVE (5) VETERANS' PREFERENCE CREDITS AND FIVE (5) VETERANS' DISABILITY PREFERENCE CREDITS.
- Ultimately, we will need a copy of your DD214 – Member 4. We will also accept the Service - 2, Service - 7, or Service -8 copy. We will not accept any other member copies.
- If you are active duty, we will need a copy of your official PCS orders or deployment orders. A final DD214 - member 4 will be required upon separation.
- For disabled Veteran's points, we need a copy of your Veterans Affairs disability letter showing a service connected disability rated at least 10% or more with payment.
* U.S. Armed Forces includes: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, and the National Guard, when in the service of the United States pursuant to call as provided by law on a full-time active duty basis, other than active duty for training purposes.